Flying Fish
October 2013
I had changed our plans on this night a few times. First I had us going to Fulton's Crab House at Downtown Disney. But the more I looked at the menu, and pictures of the menu items, the less excited I got about Fulton's. I changed our reservation to Artist Point. We had an OK meal there on our last trip, but we knew that was mainly an ordering issue. We really liked the mushroom soup and the cheese plate, and my scallops were fabulous, and we were willing to try it again.
Until I starting reading several raving reviews about Flying Fish. I looked over their menu and several items looked really good to me. It was at the Boardwalk Resort which we'd never seen, so I switched our reservation again.
I'll just put an end to any speculation right here:
We should have stuck with Artist Point, or tried for the newly remodeled and just reopened California Grill.
We drove to the Boardwalk Resort and were directed to self parking. We met up with the Parents, then walked to the restaurant to check in. I was given a pager, and we had just enough time to take a few pictures of the view before it went off.
Even though I had called several weeks before to have the parents added to our dinner reservation, for whatever reason they crammed the 5 of us into a table for 4. The Kid was stuck on the end of the table with very little room. She says she also wasn't given a bread plate and had to share one with her Granny. It made for a somewhat awkward evening, and it made me wonder why we were seated this way, as our reservation was for 5 adults.
Kyle got the Artisinal Cheese
which were fantastic.
Mom also got the soup, and I'm not sure if Dad got an appetizer or just shared the soup.
I didn't care for my soup, so I handed it over to the Kid to finish.
For dinner, I ordered the Signature Flying Fish Cafe Duo: Char crusted Angus NY Strip Steak with classic sauce Foyot, and Idaho Potato Wrapped Red Snapper over a rich leek fondue with a veal glace de Viande, red wine cassis butter reduction.
The steak was good, the sauce on top of it was excellent, and I think I even managed a few of the vegetables too. The snapper I didn't really care for, and I can't actually give a reason why, I just didn't like it much.
Kyle had the Oak Grilled Maine Diver Scallops with pecorino romano and mascarpone-laced risotto. This was pretty good.
Mom had the Idaho Potato Wrapped Red Snapper, which she didn't care for at all.
Dad I think had the steak, and also got a side and I can't remember now what it was.
Iza was being difficult. We had looked over the menu when I made the reservation, and she figured she would probably order the Mickey mac and cheese. But when it was time to order, all she wanted was a burger.
Which they don't have.
After going around and around for several minutes, I gave up and told her she didn't have to order anything at all. Our server happened to catch some of our conversation, and asked Iza what it was that she wanted to order. When she told him she wanted a burger, he replied, "Let me check with the kitchen and we will see what we can do."
She wasn't very impressed with that explanation and proceeded to pout.
However, when our food was brought out, she indeed was given a burger and fries. We were told that they had it sent over from ESPN Club especially for her! She was a very happy girl after that, and really enjoyed the burger. Just another reason why I love Disney.
The Parents skipped on dessert, but I had something with lots of chocolate and caramel. I can't find it on the menu now to give you a better description.
It was really rich and I didn't even come close to finishing it.
Kyle had something with ice cream or sorbet, and again this isn't on a menu now so I can't really tell you much about it. He liked it.
Iza had the Sorcerer Mickey's Milk Chocolate Cauldron--Fun skewer of brownie, marshmallow, strawberry and angel food cake.
The total for this meal was $247.13. Of that, we paid $82.59 out of pocket, for my drink (I forgot to mention I ordered a pumpkin pie martini, it was really good!), my soup, Kyle's cheese plate, Iza's burger, her dessert, and tip. We used 4 table service credits and have 7 left.
This meal was just OK. We weren't blown away like we should have been at this price. The highlight was how willing they were to work with Iza and get her the hamburger she was craving. I think that we would all have been happier at a different restaurant, and Flying Fish is not on our list of places we want to try again.
After dinner we walked around the Boardwalk for a while. My Dad became part of a magician's act, and that was really great. We also saw a juggler who was very funny.
The Parents decided to head back to their resort, they had to leave for the airport fairly early the next day to head back home.
We stayed at the Boardwalk for a while. We watched the Magician again, and saw some of the fireworks from Illuminations, then walked through the lobby of the Boardwalk before finally heading back to our resort for the night.
It was really great having the Parents with us for part of our trip! Iza was beyond excited to be able to "show" them Epcot, I don't think she believed us that they had been there before. Maybe sometime in the future we can get them down there with us again.
Awesome! I love your descriptions of the food. Someday . . . when I get to DL, I'm going to have to review all of your blog posts for planning purposes.
ReplyDelete:-) Stacy
Disneyland food is a lot different than WDW food, I think it's better in DL! When you're ready to go there again, I'll be here to help!!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLol, Dad looks like an old grandpa with his spectacles!
ReplyDeleteHis lovely assistant had to put the spectacles on for him, it became part of the show!
Delete