Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Copy Cat recipe --IKEA Swedish meatballs




This one was for the Kid.  She loves those meatballs!

The recipe showed up in a Food Network mag not long after we'd been to IKEA and had a plate of their meatballs.  I told myself that one day I would make them for the Kid.  Didn't know that one day would be 5 months later, but here we are. 

Luckily when we were there we bought some Lingonberry jam.  It really made the meal for me.  I decided to go with wide egg noodles instead of the usual mashed potatoes you get in the store.  I don't really know why, but the noodles tasted awful to me.  Just awful.  They were just OK by themselves, but when I had a bit with the meatballs, well, it wasn't good.  I guess I need to stick with the mashed potatoes.



I had a craving for a big slice of chocolate cake after this meal...it's what we usually share at IKEA.


I took very few liberties with this recipe, which is surprising for me.  Although, I did use ground turkey instead of beef and pork.  Otherwise, I follow this one to the letter.

From Food Network Mag, October 2011

Almost-Famous Swedish Meatballs

For the Meatballs:
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tbsp butter
1/3 cup minced white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground allspice
salt and pepper
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp worcestershire
3/4 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork (I used 1 1/4 pound ground turkey, it's what I had)
1 egg plus 1 egg white, beaten
Vegetable oil, for brushing the pan (I used a Pam like substance)

For the Gravy:
2 tbsps butter
2 tbsps flour
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 tsp Worcestershire
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
parsley (optional)

1.  Make meatballs: put the breadcrumbs in a large bowl.  Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion, garlic, allspice, salt and pepper and cook, stirring until soft, about 5 minutes.  Add the milk and Worcesterhsire sauce and bring to a simmer.  Pour the milk mixture over the breadcrumbs and stir to make a thick paste; let cool.  Add the beef/pork/turkey, egg and egg white to the bowl and mix until combined.

2.  Brush a baking sheet with vegetable oil.  (I covered it in foil first, then sprayed with a Pam-like substance).  Roll the meat into 1 inch balls (I used a scoop for this instead, they were messy!) and arrange on prepared baking sheet.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. 

3.  Preheat the oven to 400.  Bake the meatballs until cooked through, about 20 minutes.

4.  Make the gravy:  Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the flour and cook, whisking, until smooth.  Whisk in the beef broth and worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer.  Add the cream and meatballs.  Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the gravy thickens, about 10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment