We don't have biscuits and gravy very often. Usually we're too rushed to get breakfast eaten that I can't always take the time to make biscuits. While homemade biscuits are exactly hard to do, they do take some practice. I use my mother-in-law's recipe, which took me years to figure out. I was convenced she'd purposefully left out some important ingredient when she told me how to make the biscuits, since mine never came out right.
Last time we were at her house, I watched her like a hawk. It wasn't a left out ingredient that I was missing, but her technique, honed over 40+ years of making biscuits for her family.
Mine still don't come close to hers, but at least now they are edible.
All I can tell you is that I make my biscuits with self rising flour, oil, and buttermilk. I have never measured, it is completely by instinct. The dough is very soft, and requires more flour for shaping, and that they are baked in an oiled iron skillet at 480 for about 17 minutes.
As for the gravy, I used my own turkey sausage (ground turkey mixed with OO, salt, pepper, Montreal steak seasoning, and thyme). I got that mostly cooked all the way through in some OO, then added in about 1/4 cup of flour. That cooked for about 5 minutes or so, long enough to get rid of that raw flour taste, then I stirred in a good amount of salt and pepper, and about 2 cups of whole milk.
Gravy is another one of those things that just takes practice. I've made some bad gravy in my time before I got it right. You really have to get it cooked enough so it doesn't taste raw, and it needs a lot of seasoning.
Do not be afraid of gravy! Just keep trying!
As it turned out, this time my gravy was really thick. I had to keep adding milk, along with adequate cooking time, until it finally thinned out enough to eat.
And eat we did! YUM I made some breakfast potatoes to go along with our biscuits, but I don't think any of us even ate them.
No comments:
Post a Comment