Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

The dinner that almost wasn't, but was (Nine Fine Irishmen at NY NY)



After a long day of sightseeing, walking, swimming, and eating, we had to decide what to do about dinner.  The Kid, though she claimed the opposite, was tired and hungry, and at the point where she couldn't make a decision.

I'm not sure if this happens in other families, I imagine it must, we can't be that special after all.  But each of us has been known to get to a point in our day where we are too tired, too hungry, or too distracted, to be able to make a decision about food.  It was the Kid's turn to hit that wall. 

She wanted Subway. 

I, however, and the Hubs as well, did NOT travel all this way in order to eat Subway.  There's one less than a mile from our home, I can eat there at any time, and indeed most likely will when the Hubs is gone in the coming months.  Although, I think that to her, having a Subway just an elevator ride away was just one fo the coolest things in the world, much the same as how I felt at having a Starbuck's in the same location.  I feel almost bad that we didn't take her there, just for the experience, you know, but then again....I didn't travel to Vegas to eat at Subway.  Not at all.

We looked at a few of the menus I'd printed out before our trip, but nothing really stood out to us.  The few places that did, were at hotels much further than we wanted to walk.

We'd already walked about 224 miles on this day.  We weren't about to go on another trek just for dinner. 

Luckily, during our 224 mile walk today, we'd spotted an Irish pub at the hotel right next door at New York New York.  Equally luckily, our window faced the hotel right next door, which sported a 10 story high bilboard for said Irish pub.  After a quick Google search to check out their menu, the Hubs and I were ready to putt on our shoes to head out.

Which is about the same time the Kid decided that only Subway would do.

What to do, what to do...

I mentioned that we could stop by Subway, get the Kid a sandwich, and let her carry it into the Irish place like a 5 yo might do...

That stopped her cold in her tracks.

The very last thing this Kid wants is to be treated like a kid in a restaurant.  Especially a 5 year old kid.  She gets angry when they bring her a kid menu.  She really gets angry when they bring her drink in a plastic cup with a lid. 

I can't say that I blame her though.  Have you seen a kid's menu lately?  Chicken nuggets, grilled cheese, mac and cheese, blah blah blah.  What's an 8 yo little foodie to do?  Here in Vegas, she's mostly been ordering with us and sharing our plates or just ordering her own thing.


Once we got to the restaurant, and I noticed a kid's menu was about to make an apperance, I warned the Kid ahead of time NOT TO FREAK OUT.  Just go with it, she's free to order off our menu if she wants.  But then, once we looked over the kid menu, she was torn.  "Cheeseburger" jumped out at her, and even better it was an "Irish Cheddar" cheeseburger, no blasted American cheese for this girl, oh no. 

I know, I know, we brought this on ourselves, trying to teach our little one to eat good food and not to settle for tasteless drivel.

The Hubs and I, however, had another idea for our Irish dinner, and that was to order a few different appetizers and have a sharing party.  The Kid was swayed over to our way of thinking once we assured her she could pick the mushrooms out of anything we might possibly order.

Who knew you would need a PHD in negotiations when you have a child hanging around?

We ordered a beer and cheese dip that was just incredible.  It came with several different kinds of bread things, like crispy flat crackers, crispy bread sticks, soft slices of bread, and something that I suspect had caraway seeds in it.  I didn't try that one, caraway seeds are one flavor I just cannnot stand. 



Cheesey goodness, before and after


 Next we had a platter of meat pies.  "Guinness braised beef and mushroom pies".


I must cook more beef with Guinness.  They really are meant to be BFFs. 

And a pile of fried sliced potatoes which were good, but the sauces they came with were indeed not.  A red curry sauce, and a greenish curry sauce.  We ended up sheepishly asking for a bottle of ketchup instead.
 

After dinner, instead of dessert I ordered a dessert drink for myself, a "Michael Collins" with Bailey's, Kahlua, a vanilla vodka, and some sort of butterscotch liquer.  All perfect flavors for me.


It was simply delicious.

And the Kid in now way, shape, or form regretted not getting Subway, or the Kid's Cheeseburger.

No comments:

Post a Comment