Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Cheeeeeeeese fondue

Look, an actual ingredient list!

1 beer--I used a Bud Golden Wheat
8 oz chicken broth
6 cups cheese--Kraft sharp cheddar, freshly grated
4 tbsp flour, mixed in to the cheese ****need to add more flour to the cheese next time****
ground mustard
worchestershire
pepper
garlic
love--the Hubs told me to add that.

I didn't really follow a recipe, more like 2 that were quite different and I had to make it my own. It was good, but thinner than the Hubs liked. I did end up having to add a bit more chicken broth with some cornstarch stirred in, that helped with the thickness. And when they heated it up the next day, it was quite a bit thicker than the night before. I thought the consistency was fine.

I also made a beer bread to go with it. Years ago I had several Tastefully Simple parties and they all involve this beer bread that is really good and super simple to make. You just add a 12 oz beer to the mix, mix it up and bake. Easy peasy. I haven't had or been to one of those parties in a few years, but I wanted to make a simple bread to go with our cheese. I goooogled "TS copycat beer bread" and an easy recipe from Cooks dot com popped right up. Self rising flour, sugar and a beer later (I used Guinness, and boy was it STRONG! There was NO doubt that this was a BEER bread, and not some little wimpy old bread) I had my bread. It was too strong on it's own, but competely awesome with the cheese.

A while after our cheese, I broke out the chocolate. The ones from the Melting Pot basket I won over Christmas. It was alright, but after reading the ingredient list I'll be sticking to Nestle Tollhouse chips to make my fondue from now on. They work really well, and I'm not afraid of their ingredients. We had strawberries, stale marshmallows (which I'm happy to say perked right back up after being dipped in chocolate), and a homemade pound cake, that was yummy and super easy to make. (recipe was in my Better Homes and Garden cookbook).

I have to say though, the fondue at the Melting Pot is always better than mine, but it's nice to know I can do it at home as well.

2 comments:

  1. you've just given me the final nudge to try this!
    I don't know why I keep putting this off?!
    I've never even had fondue but I'm pretty sure I'd love it! lol
    I use the TS copycat recipe too! but I've never used anything besides bud light! wimp!
    Wishing you a GREAT week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fondue is so good, one of our favorite meals. How can you go wrong with hot melty cheese and bread?! lol

    I usually used Coors Light when I made the TS bread, we just happened to have Guinness from St. Pat's Day and well, they say Guinness is really good to cook with....it was really strong though, not sure if I'll do that again!

    ReplyDelete