Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Mexican Chicken and Rice




The Hubs' work schedule is killing me.  At least, it's killing my creativity in the kitchen.  It's hard to cook for someone who's not really looking forward to a whole dinner at what to him is breakfast time. 

Now, don't get me wrong, we love breakfast around here.  Love it enough to have it more than once a day.  But not every day.  It's been a bit of a struggle trying to find the right balance.  He says he doesn't mind having dinner for breakfast, but well, you know, it's kind of awkward.  I end up not wanting to cook at all, because, let's face it, who wants to cook for people who won't appreciate it?

Anyway, that's how this chicken dinner came about.  I had a meltdown/fit, yelling about how my creativity is being stifled, and I just wanted to cook something, anything!

And so I did.

I seasoned 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and Adobo seasoning, rolled them in a bit of flour, and fried 'em up in an iron skillet with a bit of oil.  When I thought they were about done, I removed them to a plate, and stirred in about 1 tbsp of flour.  Then I added about 4ozs of cream cheese and several splashes of milk, just to keep the sauce on the loose side.  I added a small can of diced green chilies, salt, pepper, and Adobo seasoning, and stirred and stirred until the cream cheese melted into a lovely creamy sauce.

For the rice, I threw a handful or two of frozen corn on top of the steaming rice, while it was still cooking.  Then I seasoned it with salt, pepper, and Adobo, and a couple of splashes of OO. 



This was really good, and didn't take long at all to throw together. 

What I would like to do next time is add more chilies, maybe a diced Anaheim pepper, and some black beans for color.  And maybe substitute chicken broth for some of the milk, and keep the sauce a bit more loose than what it came out as.  The flavor was spot on, but the thickness needs some work.

No comments:

Post a Comment