Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Broccoli cheese soup...what went wrong?

Sensing a theme here? 

What happened to my cooking mojo??  It's left me, deserted me, and hung me out to dry. 

My husband came  home, and that was the end of my cooking skills, apparently.

I've seriously got to get back on track.

So tonight's disaster, broccoli cheese soup.  I used PW's recipe, mostly.  Where it called for 4 cups of milk and 2 cups of half and half, I used an extra cup of milk and 1 cup of chicken broth.  I didn't have any half and half.  I could have used cream I suppose, but I'm glad I didn't, as it would have just been wasted. 

I think part of the problem was too much broccoli.  Looking back at the recipe though (here:  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/11/broccoli-cheese-soup/ )  it actually calls for MORE broccoli than I used.

Another problem could have been (and when, oh when will I learn my lesson here?) the pot I used.  It's a cast iron Dutch oven, and it seems to cook hotter than I'm used to.  This is the second time I've made soup in this pot that has come out ruined from being cooked too hot. 

Anyway, this soup was just awful.  Even the Hubs didn't eat anymore than the cheese off the top.  Luckily he and the kid  made a panini to share, while I ended up eating some cheeseball and bread.  Sad, sad dinner!

2 comments:

  1. So I made a casserole known in my house as Jenny's favorite hotdish and forgot an ingredient. I grew up on this and have made it hundreds of times, for my family and I forgot a key ingredient. We all have bad cooking days even with things we think we have perfected. Hang in there and when you perfect your Broccoli and Cheese soup I will be waiting. It is a favorite of mine but I am not as good at the experimenting as you are so I leave it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I leave out ingredients all the time! That's one of the reasons I started this blog, because my cooking is notoriously inconsistent. I needed a place to make notes and comments about what I did wrong and what to change in the future. Do I always check back to see what I'm doing, ummm, no.... For example I made potato pancakes last night, that I made not long ago and blogged about, even went back and checked to see what I'd done, but they came out terrible! Looks wise, anyway, taste wise they were good! But seriously, after that soup disaster, I'm not sure I'll even attempt it again! It tasted awful! lol

    ReplyDelete