I polled the fam, and these are the Top Ten things I either learned to cook, or mastered in 2010.
In no particular order at all....
1. Pork and apples. As in pork tenderloin, usually cooked on the grill not by me, served with my version of fried apples. Melt butter in frying pan, add sliced apples, brown sugar, water, cinnamon, salt and pepper, then simmered until I think they're done. Usually I add Craisins at some point during the cooking. The sweet apples go so perfectly with the pork.
2. German dinner, especially the chicken, but yes the red cabbage really came into it's own this year with the purchase of the cast iron Dutch oven. The chicken is cut thin, breaded with flour, egg and panko, then cooked until just done.
3. New spaghetti. I've been making spaghetti for years, but nothing has tasted like this. Nothing. I've started craving spaghetti like never before. I finally get it. The noodles have to go in the sauce. So simple, but all these years it's not something I've picked up on.
4. Flank Steak. Technically I guess you can say that the Hubs really makes this one. But I'm the one who takes it out of the freezer, marinates it, loves on it, and gets it all ready for him to take all the credit. Marinade: OO, salt and pepper or if I remember in time, Montreal Steak seasoning. Marinate for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
5. Risotto. Never even had this before this year. The Hubs ordered it when we were in San Diego. I found a recipe and made it at home. And mine was better. So far the mushroom version is the best, and what I'll be sticking to for a while now, until we get brave again and decide to try something new.
6. Boozy mushrooms. One of several recipes or ideas I got from the Pioneer Woman. Her version calls for cream, I don't always have cream. But we usually do have Jack or Jim in the house. I think I like this recipe better with Jack, though it's a tough call. Butter, onions, mushrooms (real or from a can), in an iron skillet, let cook until the onions are tender, then add the booze. Let cook until the rest of dinner is ready.
7. Gravy. I hesitated to put this on the list. I've known how to make gravy for years. But something just clicked this year and every gravy has turned out perfect. Cornstarch, that's the secret.
8. Pot Roast. Again, have to credit the PW with this one, it's just awesome. Chicken broth instead of beef though, as I rarely have beef broth around. Must try that one day though, just to see how it compares. Love how the carrots turn into little salty bombs when they're done cooking. It's like I've found the true meaning of pot roast. This will be a staple in 2011.
9. Mint cookies. Oh my holy heck, these are the best stinking cookies in the world. Minty, salty, chocolatey, what can be wrong with all that? Nothing at all, my friends, nothing at allllllllll.
10. Cinnamon rolls. the PW strikes again. I can't say enough about these rolls. And to think at the beginning of the year I was serving Grands. Grands! Well, never again. Never never again will I do that. I have to say though, that I make my own glaze for the tops. A little butter (sometimes, I tend to forget this part though), powdered sugar, milk and a bit of vanilla. Oh how I wish I was eating one right now... There's still a pan in the freezer with my name on it! Maybe the rest of them won't notice?
And that's the top ten best things from our kitchen in 2010, according to my family. And me.
Can't wait to see what all comes out of there in 2011!
And now I'm hungry!
1) Oh my goodness! That sounds SOOOO good! I experimented with pork tenderloin this year too! Had never had it but I have grilled it, baked it and slow cooked it! Never with apples though, I may have to try that!
ReplyDelete3) <3 Spaghetti! I still make Granny Bob's recipe but not as often as I would like! Kyle HATES spaghetti...well really he hates anything with tomatoe! But the kids and I love it! And I mix the noodles into the sauce too! It is really the only way to get and even noodle/sauce ratio!
6) Who is thist Pioneer Woman you keep referring too?
7) Gravy- my gravy ALWAYS looks wierd or has a wierd texture but it always tastes great! Guess practice and time will solve that problem!
8) I make a mean pot roast too! Sometimes I make it like mom does but most of the time I slow cook it in the crock pot. I like to use chicken broth as well...also Cambell's onion soup! It is YUMMY! Try it and let me know what you think!
9) I don't have an actual recipe for mint cookies but I like to make regular tollhouse cookies and die it green (so it LOOKS minty :-)) and then use the chocolate mint swirl chocolate chips! We all LOVE them!
10) I have not attempted to make my own cinamon rolls since the DISASTEROUS ones we made for mom one mother's day but having been thinking about trying it out. Kyle LOVES cinamon rolls! E-mail me you recipe! PLEASE! I am not good at making doughs right (bread and sugar cookies NEVER turn out!! ) but I might give it a shot!
All that food sounds SUPER yummy! I am salivating just reading it! Keep posting what you cook! I have stolen some really good ideas from you! Which is hard because Kyle is the pickiest eater EVER! Love you guys! Happy New Year!
Stephanie